Red Lake Margaret Cochenour Memorial Hospital is looking for an Addictions Outreach Counsellor! For more information on this LEAP job posting, check out the details below!
Sponsored by the Red Lake Margaret Cochenour Memorial Hospital, Community Counselling & Addiction Services offers out-patient Mental Health Counselling and Treatment; Substance Abuse Assessment and Treatment; Problem Gambling Assessment and Treatment; Mental Health Case Management, and Supportive Housing Case Management. Services are provided in Red Lake and Ear Falls, Ontario.
The Addictions Outreach Counsellor is a new position, and it involves working with persons with addictions issues and concurrent disorders. Oftentimes, these persons are not engaged with counselling services, and this position would involve connecting with vulnerable populations, building rapport, and providing crisis intervention, support with day to day needs, advocacy, counselling, and therapy as indicated. Work will be conducted at the local hospital, medical clinic, high school, women’s shelter, and in our counselling agency.
- Have direct experience counselling vulnerable persons (youth, homeless, women, Indigenous) with addictions issues and mental health conditions;
- Be skilled in conducting clinical biopsychosocial assessments with use of standardized tools (e.g. OCAN; GAIN Q3);
- Have practice in developing clear treatment plans addressing both mental health and addictions issues;
- Have experience using evidence-based interventions when providing treatment for youth and adults with concurrent disorders;
- Be experienced in providing crisis intervention and suicide intervention;
- Have knowledge of withdrawal management processes and protocols, including opiate withdrawal;
- Have experience in delivering the psychosocial components of a chronic pain management program;
- Be practiced in providing a range of evidence based psychotherapies;
- Have the ability to effectively deliver information and education to other professionals about addiction and mental health issues;
- Be comfortable working in a hospital setting, and in a community setting.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or Nursing, with a minimum of three (3) years clinical experience.
- Must be registered / eligible for registration with an appropriate professional college.
- Skill in using Motivational Interviewing, Trans-theoretical Stages of Change, CBT, DBT, and other empirically-supported treatment approaches is required.
- Familiarity with Aboriginal issues and training in ASIST and NVCI is preferred.
- Strong typing, word processing and email skills
- A satisfactory Criminal Records Check
- A valid driver’s license, and access to a vehicle are necessary.
Qualified persons are invited to submit their resume with cover letter to:
Pearl Fleming, Manager of Human Resources
Community Counselling & Addiction Services / RLMCMH
PO Box 5005, Red Lake ON, P0V 2M0
The Red Lake Margaret Cochenour Memorial Hospital is committed to employment equity. Upon request, accommodation for disabilities can be provided in the hiring process to applicants who meet the required qualifications outlined in the job description.