Ministry of the Attorney General are looking for a Court and Client Representative! For more information on this LEAP job posting, check out the details below!
Consider this challenging opportunity working for the Ministry of the Attorney General in the (Superior and/or Ontario) Court of Justice as a Court and Client Representative in where you will provide technical guidance, information and support for the provision of an accessible, fair, timely and effective justice service to the public and justice participants.
Employer Name: Ministry of the Attorney General
Application Deadline: April 14th, 2021
Hours of Work: 7 Temporary Positions Available - Up to 12 months (Irregular On-Call) with possible extension
Job Type: Various Hours
Wages: $25.38 - $29.58 Per Hour* *Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
Duties of this LEAP Job Posting:
- You will provide court support functions (pre-court, in-session and post-court) by: ensuring all court work is completed for both in-person and virtual hearings (example: preparation, presentation and logging of exhibits, distributing/providing paper or electronic court dockets; files; documents to presiding judge
- Preparing, presenting, checking all court documents, including post court sentencing papers, and ensuring accuracy and completion in accordance with judicial order, legislated requirements and Rules of Procedure.
- Testing court audio and recording equipment prior, during court and after each recess
- Ensures all virtual and courtroom technology, including remote appearance, court audio and video recording equipment, electronic display evidence equipment, is in working order at all times and sets-up and tests all equipment prior to court, during court and after each recess
- Maintaining order and decorum in the courtroom for both in-person and virtual hearings (example: administering oaths and cautions, relaying orders of the court, provides information regarding courtroom etiquette for virtual hearings)
- Liaising with various court staff, stakeholders and judiciary to ensure proper case-flow
- Ensuring all proceedings are recorded and annotated in accordance to legislative requirements, ministry guidelines and standards
- Ensuring courtroom and court recordings are secure and safeguarded
- Coordinating and managing the jury panel and all jury related duties (including attending overnight sequestered juries)
- You will provide client support at the public counter, online/virtually, and in the court office by:
- accurate data entry for inputting, updating and listing court information and filings into manual or computerized systems to ensure most up-to-date information is available
- determining nature and scope of client needs in relation to requirements of the court
- providing advice and guidance to clients in alliance with legislation, rules, procedures and policy
- ensuring accuracy and completion of all filings and that timelines are adhered to
- preparing and signing court documents (i.e., warrants of committal, restraining orders, affidavits, default judgements) under delegated statutory powers and duties of court officers. (i.e., court clerk, registrar)
- recording statistics and preparing system generated reports
- Receives and processes payouts for fines, fees, restitution and other source revenue and reconciles/ balances all accounts, e.g., month end trust and revenue accounts
- Issuing invoices and writing correspondence
- Assisting with exhibit management and managing current and archival files
Qualifications for this LEAP Job Posting:
- Security screening check under the OPS Employment Screening Check Policy which includes a criminal record check (Criminal Records and Judicial Matters Check)
- Valid Driver’s License within the Province of Ontario, where required
- Availability to work on weekend and statutory holidays, where required
- Ability to work from home, where required
- Travel to other court locations and in small aircraft (as required), or when scheduled at other locations, where required
- Typing and fully programmable word processing skills to 30wpm
- You have demonstrated knowledge of customer service principles, quality service, and Court Services Division service standards to consistently provide on optimum level of professional, responsive and accessible client service to a broad, divers client base whose service support and information needs vary substantially, in addition to handle and resolve issues and inquiries.
- You have demonstrated collaboration, team building and mentoring skills to provide leadership, technical advice, guidance and coaching to peers and other staff.
- You have demonstrated professional and respectful behavior (example: through verbal and written skills) at all times to ensure a workplace free from bias, harassment and discrimination.
- You have demonstrated oral and written communication skills to write routine correspondence to clients, liaise with internal and external stakeholders and clients to explain and clarify complex information (example: the Rules of Civil Procedure, guidelines, procedures, legislation).
- You have demonstrated public speaking skills to address small to large groups of individuals during virtual or in-person courtroom proceedings.
- You have demonstrated a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail to prepare and review a variety of forms and orders.
- You have the ability to operate and troubleshoot specialized digital recording devices in order to ensure the accurate recording and annotation of court proceedings (example: checking microphones for recording levels, audio problems related to in-court audio and recording equipment); specialized video conferencing and virtual/remote hearing technology (i.e. ZOOM, Microsoft Teams etc.,) , and other courtroom and office technology and multi-functional devices (example: remote video conferencing technology and software, electronic evidence display equipment, assistive listening devices).
- You are proficient with computer software such as Microsoft 365 (Microsoft Teams, One Drive Word etc.,) operational and case management systems (example: ICON and FRANK), and the internet to access and retrieve information.
- You have keyboarding skills to accurately prepare and complete documentation and to annotate court proceedings within tight deadlines.
- You have flexibility and adaptability to accommodate constant shifts in focus and changing priorities.
- You have demonstrated organizational skills and an ability to prioritize workload using various methods (example: calendar, notes, bring forward files) and respond to unforeseen demands.
- You can work independently and in a team environment.
- You have demonstrated problem solving skills to identify, research, address and resolve clients’ problems and concerns.
- You have demonstrated ability to interpret and assess situations or circumstances and make sound judgements to diffuse and de-escalate situations (example: angry clients at the counter, online/virtually, or in the courtroom).
- You have the ability to acquire and apply knowledge of courtroom procedures, practices and protocols to ensure proper operation of the court (example: organizing court lists of day’s proceedings.
- You have the ability to interpret and apply relevant legislative requirements, guidelines and directives (example: Criminal Code, Child and Family Services Act, Rules of Civil Procedure, lawyer’s referral service) to provide information to clients and deliver court services.
- You have demonstrated arithmetic skills to complete mathematical calculations to receive payments, calculate fees, collect and balance monies.
- You have the ability to operate a cash register (or equivalent financial management system) and point of sale machine to handle cash and credit/debit card transactions.
- You have demonstrated experience performing administrative and clerical functions in order to manage active and archived files.
How To Apply to this LEAP Job Posting:
- You must apply online at: https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Jobs.aspx
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment
Advertising Method: General Ad