Kenora District Services Board (KDSB) is hiring a Director/Chief of Emergency Medical Services (EMS)! For more information about this LEAP job posting, check out the information below!
Dedicated to improving lives, the Kenora District Services Board (KDSB) is the integrated service delivery agency providing help and support when you need it. With forward thinking and engaged employees, we deliver Ontario Works, Social Housing, Early Learning and Child Care, and Land Ambulance to current and future clients.
We are currently seeking to hire a regular, full-time Director/Chief of Emergency Medical Services (EMS) to join our Land Ambulance team in Dryden, ON (with regular travel to all communities within the Kenora District). Our employees enjoy a healthy work environment, development opportunities, and an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Director/Chief of EMS provides overall direction, leadership and planning for direct and contracted ambulance and paramedic services within the District of Kenora. This includes strategic planning and budgeting initiatives, emergency and capital planning, equipment and asset management, monitoring outcomes, developing improvement initiatives, and developing, reviewing, and evaluating policies and directives.
Employer Name: Kenora District Service Board (KDSB)
Postal Code: P8N 1B3
Application Deadline: August 16, 2022 at 4:00pm
Hours of Work: Full Time
Job Type: Full-Time
Wages: $120,646.78 - $135,789.01 per annum
Duties of this LEAP Job Posting:
- Assisting the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) in developing the vision, goals, and objectives for ambulance and paramedic services as established by the Board of Directors through the strategic plan.
- Providing strong and effective leadership to managers and staff to foster an environment that encourages full contributions by staff in meeting the goals and objectives of the strategic plan as it relates to ambulance and paramedic services. This includes ensuring that the KDSB has strong cultural sensitivity, as part of its commitment to Truth and Reconciliation.
- Developing annual operating and capital budgets in conjunction with the CAO, Directors of Finance and Infrastructure, EMS management team, and contract providers. Monitor expenditures to ensure compliance with approved budgets. Develop recommendations related to the evolution and replacement of assets not limited to fleet, equipment, supplies, and other materials necessary to maintain a state of readiness for each service.
- Fostering effective communication with the management team and contracted providers to ensure understanding of the direction and purpose of the district’s ambulance service. Ensure the management team communicates effectively with staff to work together to achieve the goals and objectives of the service.
- Developing and maintaining positive relationships with external stakeholders including government officials, hospital staff, base hospital employees, other emergency services and first responders, the public and others with an interest in the ambulance system.
- Audit performance by reviewing ambulance response times and making recommendations for improvement to the CAO and, where necessary, the Board of Directors.
- Determining and ensure compliance with legal, regulatory, operational, and safety requirements through the establishment of policies, directives, and processes in collaboration with managers, employees, and contracted providers. Regularly reviewing and amending the service’s deployment plan.
- Ensuring a high level of patient care and service is an integral goal of the service.
- A thorough knowledge of legislation pertaining to the operation of land ambulance and paramedic services, including but not limited to the Ambulance Act, Occupational Health & Safety Act, Employment Standards Act, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and Personal Health Information Protection Act.
- Excellent leadership abilities and capable of promoting harmony, cultural safety, good morale and encouraging teamwork. Knowledge of management theory and practice as it relates to supervision and personnel management, performance measurement, process improvement, government finances, and budget preparation.
- Must have superior communication skills in dealing effectively with management staff, employees, Board members, First Nation community partners and the public as well as government and community agencies including above average ability to make effective oral and written presentations. Ability to communicate service goals to management staff.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action.
- Well-developed administrative, researching, organizational, analytical, decision-making, and report-writing skills to lead the activities and resolution of problems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current medical and emergency response procedures, including ambulance equipment specifications, medical training standards and requirements pertaining to ambulance services and emergency dispatch systems and protocols.
- Requires extensive experience in the preparation of annual operating and capital budgets and expenditure control in a public sector organization.
- Requires extensive experience in preparation of policies and procedures and ensuring compliance.
Qualifications for this LEAP Job Posting:
- Requires a post-secondary degree in a program related to management of emergency health services or an equivalent, complementary field from a recognized educational institution.
- Requires a minimum of five (5) years of extensive experience in leading and supervising staff in both a unionized and non-unionized environment.
- Requires extensive experience working as a Primary, Advanced, or Critical Care Paramedic.
- Possess and maintain a valid Class F Ontario driver’s licence or equivalent.
How To Apply to this LEAP Job Posting:
Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume, by email, referencing the competition number in the subject line of the e-mail, on or before August 16, 2022, at 4:00 PM local time to the:
COMPETITION #ADM 22-34
Human Resources Department
Kenora District Services Board
While all responses are appreciated, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Confidential information provided by applicants will be used for the purpose of this competition only and will be protected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. The KDSB will make accommodations available wherever possible to applicants with disabilities upon request during the recruitment process. The KDSB is an equal opportunity employer.
Advertising Method: General Ad