IISD Experimental Lakes Area (IISD-ELA) is one of the world’s most influential freshwater research facilities. It features a collection of 58 small lakes and their watersheds in northwestern Ontario, Canada. For over 50 years, scientists at IISD-ELA have conducted whole-ecosystem experiments and made significant scientific discoveries related to issues such as acid rain, mercury from air pollution, algal blooms and pharmaceutical chemicals in water. The facility is operated by the International Institute for Sustainable Development—an independent think tank headquartered in Winnipeg.
IISD-ELA acknowledges that our research facility is located on Treaty Three lands and the care of these lands during experimentation and restoration to original state is implicit in its mission. Many local schools in the region come to the facility to learn more about the science of aquatic ecosystems and how humans serve a role in sharing and working with one another to protect these resources.
The unique nature of the IISD-ELA facility and our whole-ecosystem approach to freshwater science provides an opportunity to deliver a different kind of educational programming and community outreach for a wide variety of audiences. IISD-ELA aims to inspire and train the general public and the next generation of research scientists, providing a platform for science education and innovation.
Full room and board will be provided at the IISD-ELA facility, as well as travel to and from the facility (to Winnipeg or Kenora) on weekends. The Guest Services Coordinator is a key member of the team providing logistical support to accommodations, food services, and occupational health and safety. This includes driving a cargo van on weekly supply runs, disseminating operational policies to incoming researchers, and coordinating cleaning services for the residence buildings and laboratories.
• Coordinate accommodations for all personnel on site.
• Cooperate with the Food Services group to inform the chef of any dietary needs of incoming visitors
• Drive a cargo van to Kenora to order, purchase and transport supplies to the facility on a weekly basis.
• Manage the employee and visitor tracking software for invoicing and accounting.
• Greet visitors and communicate IISD-ELA policies and procedures.
• Maintain an organized and accurate filing system of field station operations and logistics.
• Coordinate vehicle travel to and from Winnipeg and the IISD-ELA field station.
• Provide logistical support for inventory, purchasing and distribution of supplies.
• Coordinate collection, disposal and transportation of recyclables and site waste.
• Coordinate and disseminate health and safety information and supplies.
• Coordinate and/or conduct regular cleaning and inspection of common areas (laundry room, hallways, washrooms, lounges) in residences and main laboratory building.
• Other duties as assigned.
• A proven record of safe driving skills and ability to drive a cargo van on weekly supply runs to Kenora, Ontario.
• Basic computer skills and experience with administrative tasks and software.
• Understanding of occupational health and safety protocols and workplace logistics.
• Excellent written and oral communication and organizational skills.
• Enjoy working with people and providing logistical support to the team.
• Ability to work and live in a semi-remote location in dormitory accommodations.
• Must possess valid First Aid/CPR certificate or be willing to obtain certification.
• IISD-ELA will require the completion of a criminal record and child abuse registry check.
• Ability to speak French and/or Ojibwa is considered an asset.
To apply for this position please visit www.iisd.org/about/employment to submit a resume and cover letter.