Do you have volume cooking experience and culinary training? If so, the Ministry of the Solicitor General is looking for you to join one of our adult correctional facilities across Ontario to prepare, cook, and assemble standard and special diet meals in a conventional institutional kitchen.
We are currently seeking to fill short term on-call contracts of 5.5 months in duration. If you are interested and demonstrate the qualifications outlined below, please submit your application by clicking on the “Apply Online” at the bottom of these webpage. In your application, please specify the city (or cities) you are interested to work in.
On-Call Food Services Officer contracts may be available in the following cities: Scarborough, Brampton, Stratford, Sarnia, Hamilton, Thorold, London, Napanee, Sault Ste Marie, Fort Frances, Kenora, Monteith, North Bay, Sudbury, Thunder Bay.
• These positions are on-call working 0 to 40 hours per week, and may include weekends and statutory holidays, based on operational requirements and with no minimum guaranteed number of hours per week
• Position will require you to supervise and provide direction to inmate helpers
• Prepare and assemble a wide variety of food, including complete meals, restricted diets, salads, snacks and beverages in a large institution
• Oversee proper handling as well as timely production and service of meals
• Ensure proper storage, preparation, and portion control standards are met
• Provide direction and instructions to inmate helpers
• Maintain an inventory of supplies
• Ensure the safety and security of helpers, staff and equipment
• Maintain proper sanitary conditions in the kitchen area
• Other duties as assigned
• You have a Cook’s certificate issued by appropriate Ministry OR equivalent acceptable experience in large volume cooking
• You have a valid Food Handler Certificate (either currently OR previously certified and can obtain re-certification upon hire)
Food Services Experience and Skills:
• You have extensive experience in large volume cooking and baking
• You have experience preparing various diets (i.e. lifestyle, medical, religious)
• You are knowledgeable in food safety practices as well as health and safety regulations
• You can understand and follow corporate policies and protocols
• You have communication, teamwork, and group leadership skills
• You have problem-solving skills
- You must apply online at: https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?Language=English&JobID=149778
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources at: https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Docs/OPSCoverLetterandResumeWritingGuide.pdf
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job. You can read the full job description at: https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/PDR.aspx?Language=English&JobID=149778
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us at: https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.