Grand Council Treaty #3 is looking for a Nuclear Waste Management Organization (NWMO) Liaison #2! For more information on this LEAP job posting, check out the details below!
Grand Council Treaty #3 (GCT3) is the historic government of the Anishinaabe Nation in Treaty #3, which includes 28 First Nations and Covers 55,000 Sq. Miles in north western Ontario and eastern Manitoba. At the direction of the GCT3 leadership, GCT3 protects, preserves and enhances Treaty and Aboriginal rights for the benefit and protection of its citizens.
With the above mandate in mind, GCT3 is looking for a skilled communicator with demonstrated experience building effective working relationships with Aboriginal communities. The primary responsibilities of the NWMO Liaison is to work with the NWMO Liaison Contract position to manage the planning, delivery, and follow-up of activities related to GCT3’s engagement activities with the Nuclear Waste Management Organization (NWMO) on a proposed deep geological repository for nuclear waste (the “Project”) in the Treaty #3 Territory. This position will work with the Contractor and train to take over the NWMO file.
- Facilitate and manage the implementation of an agreement between GCT3 and NWMO by developing an engagement framework and decision-making processes, establishing working relationships with the GCT3 communities, organizing information-sharing sessions, and providing program specific professional advice
- Facilitate and/or participate in engagement activities to provide regular project updates in cooperation with NWMO representatives, to inform GCT3 communities of proposed decisions related to the Project, and to request information about interests and/or concerns related to the Project
- Respond to issues relating to GCT3 communities’ social, health, cultural, and/or lands and resource management interests by preparing technical reports and providing recommendations
- Prepare briefing notes, presentations, and technical reports on complex issues related to the Project and develop options to assist GCT3 leadership, senior management, and the Anishinaabe Nation in Treaty #3 with decision-making
- Review and evaluate information on Project-related activities and make recommendations and/or approvals
- Act as a liaison and point of contact on behalf of GCT3 for Project- related enquiries
- Serve as a liaison between GCT3 and the NWMO engagement lead and/or other NWMO representatives as required
- Work remotely temporarily due to COVID-19
- During an emergency epidemic/pandemic situation, job duties will be reviewed and reassigned accordingly
- All other related duties assigned
- Post Secondary Education in a related field (e.g. environmental science, engineering, natural resources) will be considered an asset;
- Significant experience working with First Nations communities;
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management such as initiating a project and executing a project plan;
- Experience facilitating meetings and large engagement sessions;
- Knowledge of federal regulators of nuclear energy and applicable laws;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Proven ability to prepare and defend comprehensive technical reports; &
- Strong interpersonal, mediation, and negotiation skills.
GCT3 is open to candidates that have a relevant combination of knowledge and experience in lieu of formal education. Preference is giving to candidates who are beneficiaries to Treaty #3. Please send cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 references to the attention of:
Human Resources Manager Grand Council Treaty #3 P.O Box 1720
Kenora, Ontario P9N 3X7 Fax: 807.548.5041
We would like to thank all candidates in advance for their interest in this position. However only those being considered will be contacted.