IISD Experimental Lakes Area (IISD-ELA) is one of the world’s most influential freshwater research facilities. It features a collection of 58 small lakes and their watersheds in northwestern Ontario, Canada. For over 50 years, scientists at IISD-ELA have conducted whole-ecosystem experiments and made significant scientific discoveries related to issues such as acid rain, mercury from air pollution, algal blooms and pharmaceutical chemicals in water. The facility is operated by the International Institute for Sustainable Development—an independent think tank headquartered in Winnipeg.
IISD-ELA acknowledges that our research facility is located on Treaty Three lands and the care of these lands during experimentation and restoration to original state is implicit in its mission. Many local schools in the region come to the facility to learn more about the science of aquatic ecosystems and how humans serve a role in sharing and working with one another to protect these resources.
The unique nature of the IISD-ELA facility and our whole-ecosystem approach to freshwater science provides an opportunity to deliver a different kind of educational programming and community outreach for a wide variety of audiences. IISD-ELA aims to inspire and train the general public and the next generation of research scientists, providing a platform for science education and innovation.
Full room and board will be provided at the IISD-ELA facility, as well as travel to and from the facility (to Winnipeg or Kenora) on weekends. The Operations Assistant works under the direction of the Facilities Manager on the maintenance of facility infrastructure, landscape and trail network.
• Assist with preventative maintenance and repair of the infrastructure and mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and security systems and equipment of the ELA facility.
• Perform regular maintenance and monitoring of the fuel and propane storage facility, as well as recording and reporting on fuel usage.
• Assist in trash removal, recycling, grounds maintenance and cleaning of workshops (woodshop, machine shop, administrative office and bathroom).
• Assist with general field operations including maintenance of outboard motors, boats, ATVs, snowmobiles and off-site facilities (trails, boat landings and docks).
• Assist with maintenance of the access roads, including washout repair, brushing, culvert replacement.
• Perform general landscaping work, such as weed whacking around buildings, brushing the firebreak and grass cutting as required.
• Assist with record keeping for reporting and compliance purposes, including maintenance of UV lamps for water treatment, volume of water pumped to facility, hours of operation of sewage lift station pumps, HWIN manifests, aggregate pit usage and other reporting streams as required.
• Assist with the collection of data from the ELA Meteorological Facility and other research projects as required.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Applicants must possess a valid driver’s licence, Pleasure Craft Operator Card, and valid First Aid and CPR certificates. Applicants should also highlight any other training certificates relevant to Occupational Health and Safety, such as chainsaw certification, WHMIS, TDG, etc.
• General maintenance skills are necessary for this position. Any of the following skills would be considered an asset and should be highlighted in the application:
• Experience driving a manual transmission
• Electrical maintenance
• Plumbing and pipefitting
• Small engine repair
• Heavy equipment operator
• Landscaping and groundskeeping
• Additional interest in the overall research plan of IISD-ELA is an asset. Experience working and living in a remote facility is also beneficial to this position.
• IISD-ELA will require the completion of criminal record and child abuse registry checks.
• Ability to speak French and/or Ojibwa is considered an asset.
To apply for this position please visit www.iisd.org/about/employment