The Kenora District Services Board is looking for a Project Manager! For more information on this LEAP job posting, check out the details below!
Dedicated to improving lives, the Kenora District Services Board (KDSB) is the integrated service delivery agency providing help and support when you need it. With forward thinking and engaged employees, we deliver Ontario Works, Social Housing, Early Learning and Child Care, and Land Ambulance to current and future clients.
We are currently seeking to hire a Project Manager to join our Infrastructure team. Our employees enjoy a healthy work environment, development opportunities, and an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others.
Reporting to the Director of Infrastructure, the Project Manager will provide full project management services to support the KDSB in delivering successful project outcomes. The Project Manager shall represent the project owner throughout the entire process of new developments, from procurement to occupancy. Projects include, but are not limited to, the construction of new administrative office spaces, community housing and senior’s housing complexes, emergency shelters, specialty housing projects, land ambulance bases, childcare facilities, and other organizational projects.
- Act as the primary point person responsible and accountable for delivering new construction projects throughout the Kenora District as assigned by and under the direction of the Director of Infrastructure.
- Act as the primary liaison with project partners, architects, engineers, funding agencies, and other project proponents. Attend and host project design, start-up, progress and close-out meetings.
- Act as the primary point person responsible for overseeing construction projects on KDSB’s behalf, where KDSB is a key-stakeholder and/or future lessee. Always protect KDSB’s interests.
- Perform routine site visits, contract administration, contract compliance inspections, and other duties relating to new and ongoing construction projects. Monitor project budges and schedules, monitor and approve change order, and prepare project documentation. Provide monthly project status reports to the Director of Infrastructure.
- Manage multiple end-use types and fit-out process for Administrative Offices, Housing Complexes, Social Services delivery, Emergency Medical Services and Childcare.
- Provide oversight of the overall construction process. Ensure strict attention to contract deliverables, budget, and schedule. Perform Risk Analysis as it relates to construction documents, plans, budget, and schedule.
- Participate in the design process, review drawings against program, conduct and participate in constructibility reviews at each design phase.
- Create Monthly and Event Reporting for the Director of Infrastructure. Create, coordinate, and issue effective meeting minutes and other documentation for site progress meetings.
- Conduct Quality Assurance/Quality Control inspections and reports.
- Manage the tender process and contract administration practices for new construction planned for KDSB properties. This includes preparation of tender documents, evaluation of bid submissions, recommendation of approved bid, monitoring of projects to completion, and preparation of reports in a timely manner.
- Monitor contractor compliance with the requirements of provincial regulations, municipal by-laws, fire codes, building standards and Board policies, procedures, service standards, guidelines and directives.
- Lead the procurement and coordination of furnishings and equipment, and ensure the fit-up process meets the needs of the tenant and program. Lead the turnover phase of construction and ensure a smooth transition from the project team to the building operations and maintenance team.
- Assist in obtaining and retaining qualified consultants and contractors within the District. Build and maintain professional working relationships with providers.
- Perform other duties as assigned from time to time.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Engineering Technology, or a diploma in Architectural /Engineering Technology, Construction Management or completion of a comparable program from a recognized educational institution.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in project management of new construction of projects with budgets exceeding $5 million, preferably as the owner’s representative.
- Membership and certification or eligibility for one of the following professional organizations: PEO (P.Eng),OACETT (CET), AATO, or OAA is required.
- Eligibility for certification as a Professional Project Manager (PMP) through PMI is considered a strong asset.
- Well-developed computer application skills, including advanced applications for Project Management
- Software, Excel and MS Project, and related financial software.
- Extensive experience in the area of construction management, project estimating, procurement, and contract administration.
- Requires a valid Ontario Class G (or equivalent) driver’s license and a reliable means of transportation.
- Requires a satisfactory Criminal Background Check.
- Comprehensive knowledge, training, and experience in multiple project delivery methods, including Construction Management at Risk (CMR), Design-Bid-Build (DBB), Design-Build (DB), and Integrated Project Delivery (IPD).
- Comprehensive knowledge, training, and experience in the theory of building science, design of buildings, construction methods, and energy efficiency.
- Demonstrated outstanding project management skills with experience in commercial, single detached, mid-rise and Multi-Unit Residential Building (MURB) environments
- Extensive knowledge, training, and experience in the public tendering process and Canadian construction law.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and the Ontario Building, Fire and Electrical Safety codes as they relate to KDSB’s assets.
- General knowledge of municipal by-law requirements as they relate to zoning and development.
- Advanced knowledge of negotiation techniques including hiring and managing consultants, calling and evaluating bids, and awarding contracts.
- Strong organizational skills, initiative, and ability to perform tasks without close supervision. Ability to carry out assigned projects to their completion, ability to work under pressure and/or with frequent interruptions.
- Requires sufficient communication and interpersonal skills in dealing effectively with management staff, employees, Board members, the public, government and community agencies. This includes an appreciation of the need for confidentiality, tact, and discretion.
- Ability to read, review and interpret technical documents and drawings including but not limited to architectural ad engineering drawings related to construction projects and “as-built” plans.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume, by email, referencing the competition number in the subject line of the e-mail, to the:
Human Resources Department
Kenora District Services Board
While all responses are appreciated, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Confidential information provided by applicants will be used for the purpose of this competition only and will be protected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
The KDSB will make accommodations available wherever possible to applicants with disabilities upon request during the recruitment process. The KDSB is an equal opportunity employer.