Anishinaabe Abinoojii Family Services is hiring Residential Support Workers (FT/PT)! For more information about this LEAP job posting, check out the details below!
The Residential Support Worker (RSW) assists in the implementation of the culturally based Prevention & Family Preservation Programs. The Family Reunification homes will be holistic, community-orientated, family-focused, and culturally safe and competent. This program seeks to reunite families and reduce the number of children in care and provide holistic strategies for families to function on their own with or without supports. The RSW reports directly to the Resource Manager of the Family Reunification Program.
These part time contracts will regularly work two (2) twelve hour (12 hour) shifts on Saturday and Sunday each week.
The work will be normally performed in a residential AAFS-home operated setting located in the offices of AAFS and in the Reunification Homes. The position will require the incumbent to enter into the homes of families and provide resources and services as assigned and work in high stress social settings, work with potential aggressive clientele, volatile sociopolitical environments, being called out with no notice to emergency situations, travel to semi-remote Anishinaabe communities on rough and winding class “C” roadways and in various weather conditions, exposure to diverse living conditions and community environments and different sociocultural milieus.
- Child and Youth Worker Diploma or Social Services Worker Diploma with two (2) years direct experience is preferred, however a combination of related education, experience and skills may be considered
- Knowledge of the National Child Welfare Reform, Canadian Human Rights Tribunal Rulings, Child Youth and Family Services Act
- Knowledge of Customary Care and the practice of Prevention and Family Preservation, services development, social casework management, member First Nation communities and social structures, Anishinaabe family systems, as well as local customs and traditions
- Knowledge of the structure and operation of AAFS including management structure, internal policies, procedures, and protocols
- Knowledge of the structure and operation of AAFS and the First Nations in the Kenora area including tribal and external services and services agency
- Knowledge of Human behavior theories; ability to apply in assessment and planning
- Ability to provide culturally competent services to the youth that are congruent to the core values and beliefs practiced in response to the Rights of the Child
- Ability to perform light housekeeping duties, grocery shopping and meal planning and preparation
- Ability to prepare detailed progress reports and case notes with respect to dates and situations
- Ability to work shift work and report to work on short notice in relation to service requirements
- Excellent interpersonal skills, planning, time management, organizational and problem-solving
- Must be committed to ensure the highest level of confidentiality at all times
- Must possess a valid Ontario G Drivers License, be willing to travel and provide a Drivers Abstract
- Must provide a current Health Assessment and Immunization Record; and
- Ability to speak Anishinaabemowin is preferred and a definite asset.
AAFS requires all employees, contractors, students, and volunteers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, absent of a valid medical exemption or other reasonable consideration pursuant to the Human Rights Code of Ontario.
We are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the First Nations communities that we serve.
Preference will be given to Internal and/or Indigenous applicants. Please self-identify upon applying.
AAFS welcomes and encourages applications from peoples with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request
IF THIS EXCITING OPPORTUNITY INTERESTS YOU, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR RESUME WITH COVER LETTER QUOTING FILE ##RSW20230321 to:
Manager of Human Resources by Email: AAFS.HumanResources@aafs.ca
or c/o 20 Main Street South, Kenora, Ontario P9N 1S7 Fax: (807) 548-1345
PLEASE INDICATE IN YOUR COVER LETTER IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN A FULL TIME OR PART TIME CONTRACT
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT APPLICATION IS: TUESDAY MARCH 21, 2023 at 4:30pm