Ministry of the Solicitor General is hiring a Social Worker! For more information about this LEAP job posting, check out the details below!
Job ID: 164810
Consider Your Next Career with the Ministry of the Solicitor General, Ontario Public Service!
The Ontario Public Service is one of the largest employers in the province with a wide range of exciting career opportunities. We believe in the core values of trust, fairness, diversity, excellence, creativity, collaboration, efficiency and responsiveness. We invite you to join our teams!
We are currently seeking a qualified Social Worker to provide professional assessment, rehabilitative, and discharge services for inmates at the Kenora Jail. Take on this unique opportunity to showcase your skills and expertise!
The Ministry of the Solicitor General offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package, including:
- A defined benefit pension plan
- Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits which includes adoptive parents
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Life and Disability insurance
- Collegial and professional work culture
- Career growth and development opportunities across multiple business areas
- We provide on-the-job training to support your success in the role
The OPS has been recognized as a top employer. We are proud to have been acknowledged as one of:
- Canada’s Top 100 Employers
- Canada’s Best Diversity Employers
- Greater Toronto’s Top Employers
- Canada’s Greenest Employers
Canada’s Top Employers for Young People
Employer Name: Ministry of the Solicitor General
Application Deadline: June 24th, 2021 at 11:59pm
Job Type: Full-Time
Wages: $1,219.78 - $1,548.74 Per Week * Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
Duties of this LEAP Job Posting:
- Formulate reintegration/release plans in collaboration with professional and community partners and inmates
- Provide crisis intervention services
- Prepare clinical assessments and statistical reports
- Collaborate on multidisciplinary care plans
- Facilitate group and individual rehabilitative programming
- Provide one-to- one counselling
- Participate in social work research activities and evaluate treatment programs and services
- Provide social work consultation and training to staff
- Perform other duties, as assigned
Qualifications for this LEAP Job Posting:
- You are currently registered as a Social Worker in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW)
Specialized Knowledge and Experience
- You have in-depth knowledge of, and experience with, theories, principles and practices of social work normally acquired through a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) or a Master of Social Work (MSW)
- You are able to develop rehabilitative program/treatment plans as well as conduct individual/group therapy and crisis intervention
- You have knowledge of risk assessment tools and rehabilitative/treatment options in order to recommend appropriate classification placement
- You have knowledge of community support services to assist inmates in formulating reintegration plans
- You have a general understanding of the justice system in Ontario
- You can understand, interpret, and apply relevant legislation such as the Ministry of Correctional Services Act, Social Work and Social Service Work Act, Personal Health Information Protection Act, etc., as well as acquire knowledge of, and apply, operational policies and procedures
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- You can liaise with clients, correctional staff, and community support services
- You can provide individual counselling, evaluation, and assessment services to offenders with complex needs
- You are able to connect and build rapport with a diverse client population with varied cultural, ethnic, and educational backgrounds
- You have experience working within a multi-disciplinary setting, including community agencies
- You have proven tact, discretion and sensitivity to discuss problems/options with offenders and maintain confidentiality
- You have advanced written communication skills to prepare case notes, assessments, and progress and statistical reports
Analytical, Assessment, and Problem-Solving Skills
- You can gather and compile data from multiple sources to identify inmate needs
- You can develop/modify rehabilitative, treatment, and case management plans
- You are able to assess inmates in crisis and apply appropriate therapeutic intervention
- You can manage conflicting priorities, meet deadlines, and maintain adequate records
This is a continuous posting and will be posted until filled. Screening and selection processes will begin after June 24, 2021. This posting may be extended but could close at any time after this date without notice. Please only submit your application ONCE under this Job ID.
How To Apply to this LEAP Job Posting:
- You must apply online.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee’s exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Thursday, June 24, 2021 11:59 pm EDT. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d’emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Note: The only website where you can apply on-line for positions with the Ontario Public Service is http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca
Advertising Method: General Ad