The Municipality of Sioux Lookout is looking for a Tax//Utilities Clerk! For more information on this LEAP job posting, check out the details below!
- Maintain all property and taxation files and records, including ownership
- Prepare and issue interim, final, capping and supplementary tax billings.
- Completion of year end audit papers and financial reports related to taxation.
- Calculate tax adjustments, School Board transfer payments, interest and penalties.
- Administer and prepare tax certificates.
- Maintain outstanding accounts including collection and referral to tax sales.
- Maintain all tax related GL accounts, including balancing and reconciliation.
- Annually review the assessment roll for (a) comparison purposes to the previous year and (b) review of residential NS (no support) properties.
- Update related information in the computerized tax accounting system.
- Assist with telephone and online banking inquiries.
- Assist in the account reconciliation and analysis as directed by the Treasurer, including Property Tax Receivables on an ongoing basis.
- Formal backup for the Cashier position
- Responsible for maintaining and making necessary changes to the 911 Database.
- Maintains and updates Parking Ticket Processor, prepares reports, enter parking tickets and prepares them for Plate Denial.
- Process utility billings and maintain customer accounts with a high degree of accuracy.
- Complete customer’s move in and outs for utility accounts including completing contracts for customers to sign, requesting meter reads from Public Works, and entering work orders into Dynamics.
- Review all past due utility accounts and have notices delivered to specific addresses that remain unpaid for 30 days; ensure accounts are paid by the end of the due date and if not, instruct Public Works to have the water disconnected.
- Reconcile monthly and yearly utility accounts receivable, including: deposits, interest, work orders and account change overs.
- Run credit cards and enter payments for utilities, keep credit card files up-to-date.
- Online banking setup, changes and deposits that may need to be coded
- Other related duties as assigned
- Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent
- Post-secondary training in Accounting or Business Administration considered an asset.
- Knowledge and understanding of the related Provincial Acts and Regulations with respect to Property Taxation, Assessment and Collection.
- Familiarity of the Assessment Act and Municipal Act.
- Ability to complete the “Ontario Municipal Tax Administration Program” course is required.
- Minimum six (6) months to one (1) year of experience in the Municipal finance environment, preferably including experience in the municipal tax administrative environment.
To apply for this opportunity, you are invited to submit a detailed resume and cover letter in confidence to the undersigned.
Human Resources Department
Municipality of Sioux Lookout
25 Fifth Avenue, PO Box 158, Sioux Lookout ON P8T 1A4
Tel: 807-737-2700 Fax: 807-737-8067
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the information gathered will be used for the purpose of job selection. Any queries relating to the collection of personal information should be directed to the Municipal Clerk. For additional information visit our website at www.siouxlookout.ca. The Municipality of Sioux Lookout is an equal opportunity employer.